A digital photography competition to capture images of majestic trees in the state of Selangor. Submission dateline for all digital entries is 30 AUGUST 2012
The Sentinels of Time photography competition is a competition for all Malaysians to take digital images of majestic trees that can be found in the state of Selangor. The idea is to get as many Malaysians to record, document (through photographs), describe and locate these trees through a photographic competition which doubles as a platform to engage the public to take a more active role in reforestation and conservation. The best 12 digital images will be used as exhibition materials to educate the public on the need to protect existing trees via photography exhibitions all around the country. These 12 specially selected images of trees act as symbols to teach, educate and inform the public on the importance of forest conservation and reforestation in the country.Submission dateline for all digital entries is AUGUST 30 2012
THE PHILOSOPHY BEHIND THIS COMPETITION
EcoKnights believes that the passion for conservation comes after a mindset shift or change. EcoKnights is also concerned about the pervasiveness of consumerism and materialism among the majority of the population. Such unsustainable lifestyle practices are taking a drastic toll on the environment – both urban and rural. The environment does not have to be exactly the same as it was three decades ago; it just needs to be managed more sustainably. In reality, the environment doesn’t have any problems. It is us humans that are having problems with it.
Thus this competition is only a speck in a pool of efforts to gear avid amateur and professional photographers, who are possibly change agents in society, to propagate environmental awareness and consciousness, towards the direction of inculcating more environmental stewards.
RULES AND TERMS OF THE COMPETITION
The 2012 Sentinels of Time Photography Competition begins June 1st, 2012 at 12:00:00 a.m. Malaysian Time and ends August 30th, 2012, 11:59:59 p.m. (the “Entry Period”). Information on how to enter and prizes form part of these official rules (“Official Rules”). By submitting an entry, each entrant (the “Entrant”) agrees to the Official Rules and warrants that his or her entry complies with all requirements set out in the Official Rules.
Photographs taken by Entrants must be of majestic trees found in Selangor. Entrants must, in their submission, provide information on where the picture was taken, and if possible, provide the GPS location of the tree featured in the photograph submitted. The photographs taken and submitted to this Competition must be accompanied by a caption or brief description/story either in English or Bahasa Malaysia.
Photographs must be taken during the Entry Period.
This is a skill-based Competition and chance plays no part in the determination of winners.
WHO MAY ENTER/ELIGIBILITY
Legal residents of Malaysia of any age, race and nationality including expatriates, except employees of EcoKnights, and any other organizations affiliated with the sponsorship, fulfillment, administration, prize support, advertisement or promotion and/or their respective agents, affiliates, subsidiaries and members of their immediate families or persons residing at the same address.
Entrants under the age of 18 years must obtain signed authorization of legal parent/guardian and to be submitted along with the entry.
By submitting an entry, you agree:
• To abide by all Competition rules.
• To accept the decisions of the judges as final.
• That Organizer/Sponsor and its agencies reserve the right to exhibit submitted photographs a limitless number of times and in/through a limitless number of locations/media without paying you any fee.
• To license the rights for the Organizer/Sponsor to utilize the photographs for commercial purposes including, but not limited to, publicity, advertising, etc., without further consent or compensation to you.
• That if you are a winner, information you have submitted concerning yourself and your prize may be utilized for publicity or advertising purposes without further consent or compensation to you.
• To assume all liability that may arise from lacking clearances and permissions and/or violations of the Malaysian Copyright law.
• That the photographs were taken by you and you have full rights to the photograph as defined by the Malaysian Copyright law.
• That if you are under 18 years of age at the time of submission, you must obtain the signed authorization of a parent or legal guardian in order to be considered eligible.
HOW TO ENTER
• Photographs must be in digital format. Only online entries will be eligible. No print or film submissions will be accepted for entry into this Competition. All digital files must be at least 2 megabytes and not more than 6 megabytes, must be in JPEG or JPG format.
• Submitted photographs must be in compliance with Competition Terms.
• All entries must be submitted via the Sentinels of Time page (www.ecoknights.org.my/sentinelsoftime) or email the image to email@example.com indicated YOUR NAME, CONTACT NUMBER, MAILING ADDRESS and EMAIL ADDRESS. All submissions are final.
• The photograph, in its entirety, must be a single work of original material taken by the Competition entrant. By entering the Competition, entrant represents, acknowledges, and warrants that the submitted photograph is an original work created solely by the entrant, that the photograph does not infringe on the copyrights, trademarks, moral rights, rights of privacy/publicity or intellectual property rights of any person or entity, and that no other party has any right, title, claim, or interest in the photograph.
• The photograph must not, in the sole and unfettered discretion of EcoKnights, contain obscene, provocative, defamatory, sexually explicit, or otherwise objectionable or inappropriate content.
• If the photograph contains any material or elements that are not owned by the entrant and/or which are subject to the rights of third parties, and/or if any persons appear in the photograph, the entrant is responsible for obtaining, prior to submission of the photograph, any and all releases and consents necessary to permit the exhibition and use of the photograph in the manner set forth in these Official Rules without additional compensation. If any person appearing in any photograph is under the age of majority in their state/district/territory of residence the signature of a parent or legal guardian is required on each release.
• Upon EcoKnights’ request, each entrant must be prepared to provide (within seven (7) calendar days of receipt of Organizer’s/Sponsor’s request) a signed release from all persons who appear in the photograph submitted, and/or from the owner of any material that appears in the photograph entry, authorizing EcoKnights and its licensees (“Authorized Parties”) to reproduce, distribute, display, and create derivative works of the entry in connection with the Competition and promotion of the Competition, in any media now or hereafter known. All releases must be in the form provided by EcoKnights. Failure to provide such releases upon request may result in disqualification at any time during the Competition and selection of an alternate winner.
PRIZES AND WINNER SELECTION
• Judging will occur between September 1, 2012 and September 5, 2012 (the “Judging Period”). Each photo will be judged according to a rating scale of factors that includes Beauty, Originality, Creativity, Capturing the Essence of Majestic Trees, the Caption, etc.
• The twelve (12) best pictures will be selected. The best 12 pictures will be printed and exhibited at the 5th Kuala Lumpur Eco Film Festival in conjunction with the final judging of the photographs by professional judges from all over the country.
• Three photos will be selected and awarded 1st, 2nd and 3rd prizes
o 1st prize: RM8, 000 worth of cash and prizes, including hampers, a trophy, certificate and gift vouchers.
o 2nd prize: RM5, 000 worth of cash and prizes, including hampers, a trophy, certificate and gift vouchers.
o 3rd Prize: RM3, 000 worth of cash and prizes, including hampers, a trophy, certificate and gift vouchers.
o 9 finalists: RM300 cash and certificate
• Winners and the remaining 9 finalists will be announced and notified on Saturday, October 13, 2011 on the Competition website,www.ecoknights.org.my/sentinelsoftime and also on site at the 5th Kuala Lumpur Eco Film Festival at University Malaya.
• The first 50 entrants as determined by the time of receipt of the completed submission will receive an EcoKnights unbleached cotton tee shirt valued at RM30. Entrant with multiple entries will only receive one tee.
• No prize transfer, assignment, or substitution by winners permitted. If a prize (or part of a prize) is unavailable, the organizer EcoKnights, in its discretion, reserves the right to substitute the original prize (or that part of the prize) with an alternative prize to the equal monetary value and/or specification, unless to do so would be prohibited by law. NONCOMPLIANCE OR RETURN OF PRIZE NOTIFICATION AS UNDELIVERABLE, WHETHER BY REGULAR MAIL OR BY EMAIL, MAY RESULT IN DISQUALIFICATION AND SELECTION OF AN ALTERNATE POTENTIAL WINNER.
LIMITATION OF LIABILITY
By entering this Competition, all entrants agree to release, discharge, and hold harmless Organizer/Sponsors and its partners, affiliates, subsidiaries, advertising agencies, agents and their employees, officers, directors, and representatives from any claims, losses, and damages arising out of their participation in this Competition or any Competition-related activities and the acceptance and use, misuse, or possession of any prize awarded hereunder.
RIGHT TO CANCEL OR SUSPEND COMPETITION
If for any reason the Competition is not capable of running as planned, due to infection by computer virus, bugs, worms, Trojan horses, denial of service attacks, tampering, unauthorized intervention, fraud, technical failures, or any other causes beyond the control of the Organizer that corrupt or affect the administration, security, fairness, integrity, or proper conduct of this Competition, the Organizer reserves the right, at its sole discretion, to disqualify any individual(s) who tamper with the entry process, and/or to cancel, terminate, modify, or suspend the Competition.
The Organizer reserves the right to change or amend Competition rules, conditions, terms, timing, and prizes, without notification.
Competition is Void where prohibited by law.
COPYRIGHT: By submitting an entry, you agree: That the photographs were taken by you and you have full rights to the photograph as defined by the Malaysian Copyright law.
1st prize: RM5, 000 worth of cash and prizes, including hampers, a trophy, certificate and gift vouchers.
2nd prize: RM3, 000 worth of cash and prizes, including hampers, a trophy, certificate and gift vouchers.
3rd Prize: RM2, 000 worth of cash and prizes, including hampers, a trophy, certificate and gift vouchers.
9 Finalists: RM300 and certificate